
Fished with friends and the Cajun Guide Service out of Hackberry, LA. Like last year, got into some outstanding fishing. As one of the gang said, this trip was probably one of our best, not only caught lots of fish, but we also caught some good quality fish. And, I'm more and more convinced about the quality of the fishery over here on Calcasieu Lake. As Capt. James said, the question to be asked isn't "Am I going to catch fish?", it's "How many am I going to catch?"
Last year, we hammered the redfish early and limited out within 45 minutes. This year, the speckled trout were on fire. No complaints at all with those trout, and we did manage a handful of keeper reds along with an oversized red that we obviously released.
We fished the Cameron Jetties this year with Capt. James. A first for me. The fishing started out slow, but really picked up by 7:30 a.m. or so. And, the bite was steady for about an hour and half. Our boat landed 29 specs, several in the 20"+ range and one easily pushed 25" or 26". I think we only measured one trout, while all the others were easily eyeball rulered and thrown on ice. The other boat, piloted by Capt. Kevin, landed 35 specs and a couple of reds as well. I'd be remiss to not mention the third boat, Captained by Philip, our Capt. last year, they managed a nice haul of fish as well.
This was a very welcomed and appreciated fishing trip as I had not been out fishing in nearly 2 months due to my boat still out of commission, carburetor part on backorder. And, it's always a pleasure to share a good time with not just coworkers but also friends. This was a really a great trip from arrival to departure. We got in earlier than last year and had the opportunity to sit, relax, sip a brew or two...maybe more, snack, and then sit down to a delicious, cajun meal. This year we were treated to shrimp and crab gumbo. I've had none better. Up early in the a.m., fixed a quick breakfast or eat some of the leftover brownies from the night before, as I did. Then off we go. Fished from sunrise till nearly noon.
This trip has merely caused a relapse of fishing fever. It's only going to get better with fall approaching. My boat better be ready soon!
Here's a pic of the gang and the haul of fish. And, Thanks to Capt. Kevin, Capt. James, and Monica at Cajun Guide Service.

No comments:
Post a Comment