Saturday, June 6, 2009

Early to Bed, Early to Rise, ...

Early to bed, early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise. I believe Ben Franklin is credited with that quote. Leading into my planned outing, the only thing I did was rise up early only to be let down by more wind and just a little too much easterly component to hit the surf in the LA pocket. Was through the boat cut of the East jetty at 5:45 a.m. only to find choppy, muddy water. So, abandoned that plan right away.

Decided to go to the outside of the West/Texas jetty hoping to find better water there on the outgoing tide. It was marginally better. Trolled from the boat cut to the end of the jetty throwing traps, plastics, and slow sinkers. My only highlight, lost a redfish on an Assassin Blurp.

Headed back up the channel hoping for better water and wind conditions, to no avail. Decided to pull out, eat breakfast and settle in on a new plan.

Well, the new plan was to head into the north end of Sabine. The wind had not relented and was still out of the NNE. So, the open water of the north end was a bit rough. The water clarity was much better though. And, I found a dirty water/tide line. Worked it with a variety of lures, nada.

With the chop in the lake, I opted not to run too much in search of fish or birds, so headed up to Bird Island bayou. Tried a cut there for awhile. Nothing, decided to call it a day at about 2:00 p.m.

Maybe next time, I ought to go to bed earlier, get up later, and catch a lot more fish. After this trip, I needed a good nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment